Monday, January 9, 2012

Thoughts on this Tragic Work In Progress?

Hello everyone, RandomThinker 1 here,

I love writing books and I participated and won the NaNoWriMo challenge last year. For those of you who are following, no I'm not done with that book. I'm taking a break from it because one day I got ANOTHER idea and I fell so madly in love with it that I had to run with it and see where it went. So, my NaNo book is on hold.

Now for the book that stole me away. I love love love the idea of this book and I was wondering if anybody else would find it interesting. The basis for my Work in Progress is a Band that actually does exist (it shall remain nameless). They lost their drummer a few years back, but continue to produce albums. They were really torn up when their drummer died. It got me thinking, what would it be like to have a best friend, that crazy person in the group that was the peace maker, the one that everyone loved, what would it be like to suddenly lose that person? Have them ripped away from your life so unexpectedly? ...then I got thinking even more...what would it have been like if he'd left a wife behind? For added drama I thought: what would it be like if nobody, not even the band, knew she existed? What would THAT woman's life be like?

Okay, so that's the major concept of the book, now for the main character, Clair. This poor girl. She's grown up with zero friends and her single mother died when she was young and she had to live with her grandfather and he died too. She meets this crazy guy who makes her happy and they get married. One year later, he dies. Now she has no friends, no family and she's pretty depressed. I know what you're thinking... why would anyone want to WRITE let alone read such sad stuff?!?!!? Well... in my book, my character grows. She goes from this sad, lonely, depressed, on the verge of suicide, person to a strong, woman. She gains friends in her life, true friends, people that care for her. In her darkest hour, she calls out to a Higher Power, and her empty heart is filled with Peace, throwing a new perspective on her life.

I guess my question is... does anybody want to see where this goes or is it a lame idea?!

6 comments:

  1. Actually, that sounds kinda fun, but I think if you're going to do that, you're going to need a two-part book or something. Because WE need to be torn up about his dying. Or you could do frequent memory flashes, but they have to be important. We need to be invested in him, not just her. Just my thoughts. If we're going to have a guy dying, we have to care enough about him to watch his wife. Also, do the wife and the band ever meet up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do frequent memory flashes that do have to do with the story. They are important. And yes they do! :D That's also a major part of the book. This woman has NOBODY. On his death bed (husband dies in a car crash -tears-) he asked the band to look after her. They are pretty rough fellows and she's really innocent. She can't stand them. Basically, something happens that ends up putting her in the hospital and she ends up breaking half her limbs and the doctor thinks she suicidal (but she's NOT!) and he (get this) reveals that she is with child!!! Her reaction is disbelief. Well, the band members come the next day to pick her up and take her home and well, they end up having to take care of her. So the book is about their interaction, their grief and their love for the guy that died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey RandomThinker 1... So this has nothing to do with this post (Which by the way, is an awesome idea, if you ask me!), but I have seen your other Blog "The Diary of Jane". I got 3 new books, for my small book collection (litterally.. I collect small, pocket size books.) Well, all 3 of them are Jane Austen books, and I was wondering if you would mind telling me a bit about them, before I started reading them? Because you seem like a hard core fan of Jane Austen! Their titles are:

    *Persuasion
    *Mansfield Park
    and
    *Northanger Abbey.

    I'd love any help! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! I almost forgot! I am the author of Mimis Yummy Recipes. THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mimi! :D
    That's a cool hobby :D I haven't read Mansfield park or Northanger Abbey, but I have watched the movies and from what I can tell most Jane Austen movies tend to stay close to the books. Give me a little bit and I'll post what I can in the Jane Austen blog!:D
    Thank you for the questions

    ReplyDelete

You have the freedom of speech which means you can say what you like. But we have the freedom to delete nastiness. So watch what you say ;)