Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Chapter 4! Of NaNoWriMo



Yeah, I'm writing a book, but you already know that!

Progress Update: I'm halfway done with my book! :D 

Question: Judging by what I've posted so far... is my book lame? I'd really like some feedback. 

Challenge: Who wants to help me with my book title?! So far I'm thinking it should be Welcome to the Jungle... Of Espionage. All of my chapter titles are named after songs, mostly rock songs. There is even a chapter called Welcome to the Jungle! I thought that this title would work well, because it ties into the book. What are your thoughts? 

Explanation: The font in the book changes from Times New Roman to Currier New. Currier New is when the women are telling their story through flashback. It's Currier New font because it's being written by the stenographer. The Times New Roman font is indicating that they are in the present moment, in the interrogation room, and the story is being told through Sophie's point of view. 

Excerpt: March On by Good Charlotte
“What are you two doing?” Grace raised an eyebrow. “You do realize we’re in a hallway, right?” Sophie and Shawn were scooting down the hallway with their backs against the wall. Haley looked at Grace and she backed against the wall too. Sophie started to hum the Mission Impossible theme song. Keegan kept his smile.
     “Wow, guys, just, wow.” Grace shook her head and turned away from them.
     “Where is Carmie?” Sophie asked Keegan, she walked against the wall a little faster and matched his pace.
     “She’s a doctor in the Maternity department; she should be around here somewhere,” Keegan answered her.
     Sophie looked at him. She stared at him and cocked her head to the side. Grace saw. Grace tried to see what Sophie was looking at. Haley made an “hm” noise and nodded her head in agreement.
     “What?” Keegan demanded. He didn’t like people staring at him.
     “Has anyone ever told you, you look exactly like a tanner, taller version of Joel Madden?” Sophie wondered.
     “Who?” Keegan was confused.
     “Do you have any tattoos?” Sophie asked.
     “What?”
     “Specifically sleeves?” Sophie persisted. She observed his long coat sleeves and tried to remember if he had any tattoos. She sighed a little disappointedly when she saw that ‘Made Manu’ wasn’t tattooed across his knuckles. “Maybe it’s just the hair. Have you ever spiked it?”
     “No.”
     “Can I spike your hair?” Sophie squinted her eyes. Grace and Haley laughed.
     “No!” Keegan put more space between himself and Sophie.
     “You do sort of look like him,” Jason noticed. 
     “Scratch that you look more like Benji, the cuter version that is.” Sophie changed her mind. “Have you ever been considered chubby?”
     “Can we walk in silence?” Keegan begged.
     “Did you just say he was cute?” Haley asked.
     Everyone looked at Sophie.
     “Yes, yes I did,” she shrugged. “Benji is very cute, in a creepy teddy bear sort of way.”
     “You think I’m creepy?” Keegan asked.
     “She’s talking about Benji,” Haley reminded him.
     “Never mind, he’s Joel.” Sophie changed her opinion again.
     “Ugh.” Keegan ran a hand through his pitch-black hair and walked faster.
     “Don’t walk away,” Sophie called after him.
     “You have to face the strange!” Jason told him and winked at Sophie.
     “March on, Keegan,” Haley joined in.
     “Are you kidding me?” Grace looked at Haley.
     “I was partnered with Sophie in Art class when she went through that phase,” Haley explained.
     “I want to fall in love!” Sophie grinned.
     “I just wanna live,” Jason shrugged.
     “Plus my boyfriend was a fan.” Haley rolled her eyes.
     “She’s my riot girl.” Jason grinned and put an arm on Haley’s shoulder.
     “You are all young and hopeless.” Grace shook her head. “I was around her during that phase too, you are not alone,” she added when Haley gave her a look.
     “We believe… you are wounded,” Shawn awkwardly said to Haley. He tried to remember more songs.
     “A two-fer, nice!” Haley bumped his fist.
     “Please, stop! Just stop!” Keegan begged.
     “I don’t wanna stop,” Jason mumbled another song title.
     “Let the music play, I mean children,” Grace told Keegan.
     “We are not children!” Haley frowned.
     “I am and will be, always and forever, or maybe I’ll change. It’s complicated.” Sophie rambled.
     Haley laughed and managed to trip over her own feet.
     “Timber,” Grace commented and watched Haley fall.

~~~~

     “Some friend you are.” Haley glared at Grace.
            “Keegan caught you.” Grace widened her eyes and stated the obvious.

~~~~

     Keegan reached out a hand and caught her. He supported her weight and she winced while trying to make herself well adjusted.
     “Dude, keep your hands off my girl!” Jason frowned and reached for Haley.
     “Oh get over it, it’s not like you own me.” Haley frowned and steadied herself on Keegan’s arm.
     Jason ignored her attitude. “Keegan!” He prompted when Keegan didn’t let go of her.
     “I heard you! Just give her a second.” Keegan’s brows pushed together.
     “Hey good job!” Shawn congratulated him on naming another song.
     “What?” Keegan was utterly discombobulated.
     “Never mind.” Shawn pouted.
     Haley transferred from Keegan to Jason. The little game was over and Haley looked really pale. She was never pale she was the tan babe. Haley can’t be pale! She’d lost too much blood. They had to find a doctor… literally.  

~~~~

     “I think I was just mad,” Haley laughed. “I mean, I’d lost a lot of blood too, but Jason was getting on my nerves!”
            “Aww, but he’s so sweet and caring,” Grace countered.
            “Yeah but yeesh! Enough with the Riot Girl! And it’s not like I can’t take care of myself.” Haley rolled her eyes.
            In the words of Haley, people, ‘I don’t need no man to take care of me.’ This is usually accompanied with a head bob and some sassy lips and/or a ‘holler’ from Grace and a ‘Raise da roof!’ from me. The last is added for good measure and the fact that I rarely get to use that phrase in an appropriate setting.
            Moving on!  

~~~~

     “Oh look!” Sophie was quickly distracted and ran up to the wheel chair. “Get in!” She prompted Haley. Haley didn’t need to be told twice.
     Sophie pushed Haley through the halls and was joined by Shawn.
     “Shawn! Really?” Keegan said. Shawn shrugged and pushed Sophie and Haley in the wheelchair.
     The group fell silent when they heard faint voices. The words grew louder and the group walked slower. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello again remember me? If you dont remember me i was the one who made the blog about book reviews with flames in the background for the blog summer camp thing. Oh and I think the book is coming along great. I cant believe your writing a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember you! :D And thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sure and i still cant believe your writing a book

    ReplyDelete

You have the freedom of speech which means you can say what you like. But we have the freedom to delete nastiness. So watch what you say ;)