Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean

The Pirates of the Caribbean movies are amongst my favorites list. I've always just been fascinated with swashbuckling pirates, the adventure that comes with racing for the treasure, sea battles, sailor legends about sea monsters! Pirates of the Caribbean brought all of this back to life, along with a wise cracking, hilarious Jack Sparrow.
But there were some things I didn't care for.
How many people thought that the whole Will and Elizabeth thing was getting old? Well, I did. The first Pirates movie was fantastic! But as the sequels kept coming, I got a little irritated with the love triangle. There's Will (Mr. Perfect) against Jack and Miss Swan can't make her mind up about which one she likes. Does she like the half drunk loon who can't commit to anything? or the stable, charming, blacksmith who truly loves her? It was truly the most difficult choice of the century.
One thing that I'm a little iffy about was all of the Pirate legends. I get that the edge of the earth and Davy Jones's Locker where very important parts to Pirate tales, but, for the movie, it became a bit much.
My favorite of all four of the movies was number one. It had just enough legend, adventure, comedy and romance balance each other out.
The other two movies, honestly, blended for me. I didn't really care for them.
Pirates of the Caribbean 4 was my second favorite. It's my first for hilarity though. Soooo many funny moments happened in this movie! I loved it! Sure, it had that legend aspect going, but I found it a little more interesting. Maybe I liked it because it was a new legend and not the one they had used for the past two movies.
Another thing I liked about this fourth addition was that it brought a fresh romance to the table. Will and Elizabeth were gone! And Angelica made her grand entrance, portraying Jack Sparrow! I liked her character, she brought out Jack's tender vulnerable side.
My absolute favorite part of this movie was when Jack is talking to Gibbs about Angelica. This part made me laugh so hard:
"Ah. You pretended to love her and left her and broke her heart."
"Worse. I may have had...briefly, mind you...stirrings."
"Stirrings?"
"Stirrings."
"What, like...
feelings, you mean?"
"No, no, no, no, no, not quite all the way to feelings. More like...stirrings.
"
Jack Sparrow and Joshamee Gibbs
Ha! I cracked up!
What are your thoughts of the movies? Which was your favorite and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have the freedom of speech which means you can say what you like. But we have the freedom to delete nastiness. So watch what you say ;)